Menu again.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Menu again.
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:11:21 +0100

I have just had a user complain in a German Usenet group that
"Options/Truncate Long Lines in this buffer" is not saved when you use
"Save Options".

Now anybody with half a brain should be able to figure out that since
"this buffer" does not exist in the next Emacs session, there is
nothing to save here.  While in the long run, I don't think Emacs will
appeal to people without the ability to think straight, it might
perhaps be prudent to remove this particular option, which is the only
one that only applies to "this buffer" in the Options menu, as far as
I can see.

With regard to moving the "Blinking Cursor" option away from the top
menu into the submenu "Appearance" (with this new name instead of the
previous "Hide/Show"): the only complaints that I heard were
procedural complaints about me not waiting long enough before I
install such a change.  When people said something about the idea
itself, it seemed supportive.  It's been now about 3 days, so I shall
go ahead and do that.  If I misunderstood something, reverting is
always possible.

With regard to my other proposal, switching the order of the
"Customize Emacs" and "Save Options" menu, it has been pointed out
that the current order is important to inform the user that "Save
Options" will not save any options set by "Customize Emacs".

I offered to implement that "Save Options" would prompt and offer to
save also unsaved Options set by "Customize", making it possible to
switch the order of options into the customary one while giving the
user a less subtle hint about what happens.

However, no agreement could be reached about the proper way to address
the problem.  As a result, things are going to stay as they are there
absent of divine intervention.