Re: Popup problems with GTK

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Popup problems with GTK
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:06:25 +0100

Stephan Stahl wrote:

Hi.

Using a up-to-date cvs emacs, gtk toolkit and Gnome gives problems
with popups when the Gnome mouse option "Highlight the pointer when you
press Ctrl" is active.

emacs -Q
C-mouse-3 in any buffer and emacs hangs.

This must be one of the most annoying features I've seen, and poorly implemented at that. I can't imagine any Emacs user wanting this, Every Ctrl-press starts the animation, and there are a lot of ctrl-pressing going on in Emacs. I've checked in a fix so that Emacs does not hang, that is the best we can do sort of changing GTK. Other GTK apps don't handle this option well either, Gedit does not show the popup menu on Ctrl-button-3 when that option is activated (at least not the one in Gnome 2.8).

When i disable this Ctrl Highlighting or compile emacs without gtk the
popup does just work..

Not entirely true, you do get this for Motif based applications:

Warning:
   Name: popup_menu
   Class: XmMenuShell
   XtGrabKeyboard failed

The option grabs the ctrl key and when GTK can't get that grab, it silently refuses to pop up the menu.

   Jan D.