Re: Special Characters on Mac Emacs

From: Sébastien Kirche
Subject: Re: Special Characters on Mac Emacs
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:34:55 +0100

Le 25 mar 2005, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu a formulé :

> > - following your example M-: (set-frame-font
> > (create-fontset-from-mac-roman-font
> > "-apple-monaco-medium-r-normal--9-90-75-75-m-90-mac-roman"))
>
> > I can see that the frame briefly flashes then it redisplays with the
> > etl font.
>
> I couldn't reproduce (even after installing ETL fonts from
> http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/stories/resources.html).  If you
> tried without -Q option, could you try again with it?  Also, could you
> show the result of (describe-font-set "fontset-mac_roman_9") ?

Yes i will show  it, but you will have to wait  4 days until Tuesday because
it is  Easter weekend and  this Friday is  holiday in my  area (my G4  is at
work).

> > I also added the custom-set-variables for
> > face-font-registry-alternatives as you advised.
>
> No, no.  I didn't recommend that.  What I wanted to say is:
>
> - The create-fontset-from-fontset-spec example introduces wrong
> glyph.
> - There is an easier way to do without messing up
> create-fontset-from-fontset-spec entries *if you don't care about
> wrong glyph*.

Oh ? OK. I'll remove that.

> > I have noticed formerly that some characters displays correctly
> > (euro, eastern Europe languages) but many fail in the range
> > 2500-33ff and display instead some Cyrillic.
>
> I suppose no characters in mule-unicode-2500-33ff is accessible from
> QuickDraw Text API that Carbon Emacs is currently using for drawing
> text, at least when using with bundled fonts.

What i can't figure out is that within OSX you can have any unicode char you
want providing that the application  is unicode compliant and that character
is accessible at least from the system character palette.

But for Emacs there is that  strange remapping for parts of the unicode set.
So some chars are ok and some not.

I will try to help as i can to fix that.

> > Could you give an example of a full fontset definition ?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a full fontset definition".
> Anyway, the font setting in my ~/.emacs is as follows.

I meant a working one :) I built mine with the help of the documentation and
by picking some bits from the web with lots of try and errors.

Given the fact  that some parts (mule-unicode) are  not fully functionnal, i
was not sure that my definition is correct.

You pointed that it is not.

> (when (eq window-system 'mac)
> (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist
>              `(font  .  ,(create-fontset-from-mac-roman-font  "-apple-lucida
>              sans
>              typewriter-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-100-mac-roman")))
> (setq face-font-rescale-alist '(("^-apple-.*-jisx02" . 1.2)))
> (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'japanese-jisx0208
>                   '("ヒラギノ角ゴ*" . "jisx0208.*"))
> (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'katakana-jisx0201
>                   '("ヒラギノ角ゴ*" . "jisx0201.*")))

Interesting : i never noticed the face-font-rescale-alist parameter.
Thank you.

--
Sébastien Kirche