Re: Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:36:32 +0100

If Jan has an automated script, that's great. In the meantime I did
two new xpm's, a little bit brighter and two sizes bigger than the
first one.  There are screenshots for them as well.

diropen2.xpm    - A bit too big, height 24px.

Actually, I find that ok.

diropen3.xpm    - Feels better, height 20px.

The color appears to be off somewhat, inconsistent with other colors.
I suggest we wait for Jan to speak up: presumably if he does the
conversion with his method, what was consistent in GNOME, should
become consistent in Emacs.

The Gnome icons are consistent because the Gnome people designed them that way, I didn't do anything in the conversion. The colors of this icon seem to be a bit off compared to the standard icons. I don't have any opinion on this icon, if you feel it is better, check it in. Just don't forget to reduce the colors some more, ideally not more than hundred. Otherwise people running on 8 bit displays will run out. When reducing colors, avoid dithering, it looks bad on icons this small. And use the same palette as for the other icons also, so the sum of colors Emacs uses doesn't increase (it is on the limit for 8 bit displays already).

   Jan D.