Re: Menu again.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Menu again.
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:28:49 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I do not have the time to keep answering all the arguments you have
>> already repeated 1001 times and which already have been answered before.
> .. without reaching consensus on the issue!!!
>

> Can we take a poll on this issue and get done with it?

Sounds sensible.  The problem is that your poll is "loaded": the
choices are not independent.  I'll try fixing it:

> Please send me your votes on the following questions:
>
> 1) Rename Options=>Show/hide to Options=>Appearence ?
>    [with suitable minor adjustments on the sub-menu]
>
>    [ ] Yes  [ ] No
>
> 2) Move Options=>Blinking Cursor to Appearence submenu?
>
>    [ ] Yes  [ ] No

This implies that 1) was answered with "Yes".  So let us replace it
with:

2a) If Appearance is the menu name, move Options=>Blinking Cursor there?
   [ ] Yes  [ ] No

2b) If Show/Hide is the menu name, move Options=>Blinking Cursor there?
   [ ] Yes  [ ] No

> 3) Fix Options=>Save Options to offer to save unsaved Customize
>    as suggested by David (below)?
>
>    [ ] Yes  [ ] No
>
>      > ... that "Save Options" would prompt and offer to save also
>      > unsaved Options set by "Customize", making it possible to
>      > switch the order of options into the customary one while giving
>      > the user a less subtle hint about what happens.

This mixes two questions/suggestions.  So this better be:

3) Fix Options=>Save Options to offer to save unsaved Customize
   as suggested by David (below)?

   [ ] Yes  [ ] No

     > ... that "Save Options" would prompt and offer to save also
     > unsaved Options set by "Customize".

4a) If 3 gets implemented, swap the order of "Save Options" and
    "Customize Emacs" to have "Save Options" at the bottom?

   [ ] Yes  [ ] No

4b) If 3 does not get implemented, still swap the order of "Save
    Options" and "Customize Emacs" to have "Save Options" at the
    bottom?

   [ ] Yes  [ ] No

This is a bit more cumbersome, but I think it is less loaded.

> I'll count and report the votes in 5 days from now.

Please do.  Not that I had not done a similar thing already...