Re: Auto-fill-mode bug: unbreakable space lost

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Auto-fill-mode bug: unbreakable space lost
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:30:46 +0900

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:52:47 -0500, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>     I second that. May be we should define the shift space (S-SPC) key to
>     produce the non-breaking space in the current charset (I did it for
>     Hebrew - iso8859-8).
>
> That could be a good idea, but it could also conceivably cause
> problems.  Maybe some people type spaces while holding down the shift
> key and expect it to be an ordinary space (such as, between words that
> are all caps).

Yes, I think it would be a real problem.

I use S-SPC to toggle the X input method, and am _constantly_
triggering it by mistake, even though I'm (obviously) very aware of
the problem and try not to.  As you can imagine this usually happens
when typing a space after entering a capitalized word or shifted
symbol -- my shift-key release reflex is often just a little too slow.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.