Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Putting auto-image-file-mode in Options menu
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 05:44:04 +0900

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:25:29 -0500, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>     BTW, shouldn't "image-file.el" (the source file for `auto-image-mode')
>     be moved to lisp/obsolete, now that image-mode is preferred?
>
> I don't know if it is totally obsolete.  Does anyone think it isn't?

I'll note my experience:  I actually use `auto-image-mode' a lot
(surprised Stefan? :), mostly for a quick peek at images in a
directory I'm visiting witih dired, and image-mode seems to work great
for that case.

The case where image-mode isn't equivalent is where you use
`insert-file' to insert an image -- auto-image-file will cause the
inserted text to be covered with the image, but image-mode won't do
anything (unless the user invokes it afterwards, and then it will only
work if the image is the sole text in the buffer).

I can't imagine that this distinction matters for programmatic use --
it would be just as easy, and maybe more straight-forward to call a
dedicated `insert-image-file' function.

For users, I suppose somebody might want to create a quick
mini-slide-show in a buffer or something by inserting a bunch of image
files, but ... I'm not sure I see this happening very often.  [and of
course a user could just as well call a dedicated insert-image-file
function too.]

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.