Re: Auto-fill-mode bug: unbreakable space lost

From: Evil Boris
Subject: Re: Auto-fill-mode bug: unbreakable space lost
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:51:39 -0500

> I was thinking that C-x 8 is obsolete, but if this is the best way to
> do that, maybe it means C-x 8 is not obsolete.  What do people think?

This is just my opinion, but I find C-x 8 extremely useful.  Most
frequently I use no input method at all (I like the characters I type
to match the characters that I appear on the screen :), and
occasionally have use to cyrillic-translit, say for e-mails.  However,
to insert an occasional ' into a é I use C-x 8.  Is there any nice
alternative to doing this?

--Boris

PS. By the way, should there be some documentation that describes C-x
8 commands, as a group [C-h k only responds to, say "C-x 8 ' a" with
the somewhat useless "á [translated from ...] runs
self-insert-command"]?  Does it exist already?  Where and how would I
find it?  In particular, what encoding does it put the characters
into?  Is it covered by unify-on-{en,de}coding machinery?  How do I
find out?