Re: Sensible menu bindings

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Sensible menu bindings
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:58:58 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> With my patch, (key-description KEY t) will do just that.
>> Making C-h c using that is trivial (I already did so).
>
> Great, then I strongly support it.

Thanks.

>> C-h k "File" "New File..." reports:
>> ,--------------------------
>> | File=>New File... runs the command find-file
>> |    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `files'.
>> | It is also bound to <open>, C-x C-f.
>> |
>> | Menu binding: <menu-bar> <file> <new-file>
>
> I wouldn't bother with this part of the change, just keep:
>
>> | <menu-bar> <file> <new-file> runs the command find-file
>> |    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `files'.
>> | It is also bound to <open>, C-x C-f.
>
> Since after all the user has just selected the entry in the menu, so she
> knows damn well what many entry it was.

But if I grab the help output and send it to somebody else,
the new format is more readable there too.

And sometimes, help buffers stay around for several minutes,
and not everybody has that long memories :-)

>> | find-file                File=>New File..., C-x C-f, <open>
>> |   Command: Edit file FILENAME.
>> | find-file-at-point       M-x ... RET
>> |   Command: Find FILENAME, guessing a default from text around point.
>> | find-file-existing       File=>Open File...
>> |   Command: Edit the existing file FILENAME.
>
> OTOH, this is much more readable than the current form.

This was actually the context that triggered the change in the first
place -- the other uses came as a "mostly free" bonus.