Re: calc version / copyright

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: calc version / copyright
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:10:26 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

> Jay Belanger <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>>  > It's been updated; now it looks like
>>>  >
>>>  >  GNU Emacs Calculator version 2.1.
>>>  >    By Dave Gillespie, address@hidden
>>>  >    Copyright (C) 2005 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>>>
>>> If you are the current author, then I think you should include your details
>>> otherwise all feedback will go to Dave Gillespie.
>>
>> I'm the maintainer, not the author, and hopefully feedback will be
>> sent using M-x report-calc-bug.
>
> Since calc is distributed with Emacs 22.x, I don't see a reason
> to have a separate report-calc-bug function anymore.

The bug reporting commands also report the settings of variables.  If
the general Emacs bug reporting command were to include the values of
all existing subsystems, we would get wagonloads of useless
information.  Also, subsystems often have their own bug reporting
lists and maintainers.

If we want to let everything go by report-emacs-bug, we would need
ways to have specific reports be generated where all active minor
modes have a way to make their variables known, and the major mode
also can specify his own variables and bug reporting addresses.  If
the addresses clash for several active subsystem, Emacs would have to
ask about which system it should report.

Post-22 stuff, if at all.

However, we should probably encourage some conventions.  I have here:

TeX-submit-bug-report
c-submit-bug-report
eshell-report-bug
gnus-bug