Re: show_help_echo truncates unconditionally

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: Re: show_help_echo truncates unconditionally
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:24:44 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Richard.

Richard Stallman said:
> What job does show_help_echo do?  The comment says
[..]
> but that is cryptic and incomprehensible.  For instance, it says
> "Display help echo"; what is this "help echo" that it is supposed
> to display?
>
> Under what sort of circumstances does this function get called?

It is called to display information stored in the help-echo property
of strings.  For example moving the mouse pointer over the mode-line,
menu entries or some buttons, buffer lines in grep-mode.  Normaly
show_help_echo delegates all work to show-help-function.  This
mechanism is used to popup tooltips.  When show-help-function is nil
(like on text only displays or when tooltip-mode is disabled)
show_help_echo does the job itself by displaying those strings in the
echo-area.

Maybe Stefan can add something to my explaination.

Stephan
--
Stephan Stahl