Re: Possible change to startup.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:40:05 +0900

On Mar 31, 2005 7:47 AM, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:
> please find
> below a revised patch that uses the first sentence of the file as the
> text for the splash screen.  unfortunately, i prematurely committed
> changes to the actual TUTORIAL files due to concerns that translators
> might not see the proposed changes

So what exactly is that patch supposed to do?  It seems very complicated.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to take the description `first sentence
in the tutorial' literally; a sentence may not be the best unit to
use, as something that sounds natural when inserted into the splash
page may look odd as a standalone first sentence in the tutorial.

It seem better to do as I suggested earlier, and structure it more as
a  `title' in the actual tutorial file (that is, simply the words
"Emacs Tutorial" or equivalent, on a line by themselves, possibly
centered on the first line, followed by a blank line).  That will be
easier to extract from the file, and probably will look reasonable in
both contexts.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.