Re: Possible change to startup.el

From: Marcelo Toledo
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:21:46 -0300

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> It's not what it looks like it does.
>
> E.g. the patch contains the following code:
>
> !                 (with-temp-buffer
> !                   (insert-file-contents tut nil 0 80)
> !                   (search-forward ".")
> !                   (buffer-substring (point-min) (point))))
>
> Which seems to be searching for the end of a sentence (though this is
> not a good way to do that -- it won't work with some languages), and
> will in fact signal an error if there's no period in the first 80
> characters.

I haven't noted that he changed from the first version I checked:

!                 (with-temp-buffer
!                   (insert-file-contents tut nil 0 80)
!                   (buffer-substring (point-min) (progn (end-of-line)
(point)))))

I agree with you:

* The first line must be used entirely for "Emacs Tutorial", no more no
  less.
* It will be centered, the position of where it is may and will vary
  from file to file.
* The code must strip whitespace from the beginning and end, and make
  sure in all cases it's getting only the title (Emacs Tutorial).
* Since only the first line is valuable for the code, it can be followed
  by an empty line (eye candy purposes).

--
Marcelo Toledo
address@hidden