Re: Possible change to startup.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:43:55 +0200

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>> For now, please let's focus on fixing bugs,
>> not on small improvements.

> Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> what do you propose for the presentation format, based on these
>> conditions and elements?
>
> Is this really a _very important improvement_?
>
> Why is this _more important_ than reporting sensible menu bindings?

It was a reaction due to actual user feedback about a perceived
shortcoming, so its relative importance _could_ be argued.

But I would strongly suggest that we don't start down this track.
Arguing about features just on their own is already taking too much
energy on our list.  If we start the pastime of trying to achieve a
complete ordering of importance, we won't get anywhere at all.  It's
bad enough as it is.

Kim, I am obviously supportive of your patch for the sake of our
users, which is hardly surprising since I seem to remember it was due
to a proposal of mine, and I don't agree with (actually find it hard
to understand) Richard's assessment of its irrelevancy.  But a
perceived shortcoming in one issue should not be used for blocking
progress in other areas.

We not only block progress that way, but we also poison the
atmosphere.  This is not, as it may seem at times, a competition.  I
know that I may appear at fault in that respect at times.  If one has
a strong opinion about something, it is hard to accept that others may
see it as mostly irrelevant.

We are all trying to make Emacs the best that is possible, after all.