bibtex-generate-url-list

From: Jochen Küpper
Subject: bibtex-generate-url-list
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 14:51:10 +0200

Ok, so lets assume I have the following setting
,----
|       bibtex-generate-url-list '((("=key=" . ".*")
|                                   ("=key=" ".*" jk/bibtex-pdf-name))
|                                  (("doi" . "10\\..*/.*")
|                                   "http://dx.doi.org/";
|                                   ("doi" ".*" 0))
|                                  (("url" . ".*:.*")))
`----
and
,----
| (defvar jk/bibtex-pdf-location (concat jk/home-dir "/PDF") "Location of PDF
archive")
| (defun jk/bibtex-pdf-name (key)
|   "Determine filename in PDF databse from bibtex key.
|
| This function determines the filename corresponding to the current entry.
| "
|   (progn
|     (subst-char-in-string (string-to-char ":") (string-to-char "_") key t)
|     (concat jk/bibtex-pdf-location "/" (substring key 0 1) "/" key  ".pdf")))
`----

This will, obviously, always try to open a file in my local archive
and never use the doi or url fields. What I actually want is that the
file from the archive is used *if* available, the doi/url otherwise.

I can supply a function to check for the availability in the archive,
but is there any way to have bibtex-url go back and use the next entry
if the file is not available?

If not, I guess I can write a function around bibtex-url that checks
for the availability of the local file and opens it if its there, but
use bibtex-url without the local source otherwise... Doesn't sound
like the cleanest approach, though.

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)