Re: Tramp and VC integration: "calling user"

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Tramp and VC integration: "calling user"
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 12:15:08 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Suggestions for solving this:
>
> (1) New file operation file-mine-p, returns true if the file is owned
>     by the "calling user".  For non-special files, the calling user is
>     the user who invoked Emacs.  For Tramp files, the calling user is
>     the user logged into the remote host.

I apologize for suggesting the above non-solution.  I don't know what
I was thinking.  Thanks to Andre for setting me straight on this.

> (2) New file operation file-calling-user, returns the calling user, as
>     defined in (1).

This now seems to be the way to go.  I'm not happy with the name,
though.  Names that crossed my mind for this operation:
file-calling-user, file-standard-user, file-user-login-name.  I don't
like any of them.

Do people have a better suggestion?

> (3) Augment the return value of file-remote-p to indicate the calling
>     user.  The return value could be augmented to also indicate the
>     remote host, if the file is remote.

I agree with Richard that this seems kludgy.

Kai