Re: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:01:07 +0300

> From: Aidan Kehoe <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 20:25:20 +0200
> Cc: David Reitter <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
>  > [...] Should one make people abandon Emacs that have been using it for 20
>  > years, so that a newcomer will take an hour instead of half an hour
>  > before giving up on it?
>
> That's a false dichotomy; people who have been using some form of Emacs for
> twenty years are informed enough to be able to configure their way around
> the new defaults.

That depends on the amount of configuring around the defaults.  If
that amount gets too large, I, for one, would be very unpleased.  I
use Emacs for productivity, not for the dubious pleasure of wasting my
time hunting down new defaults that make Emacs behave contrary to my
expectations.

Please also don't forget that quite a few veteran Emacs users
routinely work with several different Emacs versions on different
machines, so having too many differences between versions means those
Emacs veterans will have hard time crafting customizations that work
with all of the versions.