Re: Emacs on Mac OS X

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs on Mac OS X
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 00:28:35 +0200

Cian Hughes <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, I'm currently running Mac OS X 10.4 which is currently
> unreleased commercial software, so having agreed to an NDA I really
> have no right to ask for your help.

The problem is rather that you have no right to _offer_ your help.
What goes into Emacs, is released openly as free software.  So you are
subjecting yourself to lawsuits from Apple if you contribute to Emacs.

> However I have discovered a very serious issue with emacs on Mac OS
> X 10.4 (tiger) and due to a change in carbon, emacs (latest CVS
> version as of today) does not compile. I have enough experience with
> Mac OS X to try and fix the problems which I would obviously send to
> you immediately, however before I invest my time in this (there are
> lots of other broken things under Tiger) I just thought i'd enquire
> as to who is currently maintaining mac.c and the carbon bridge for
> emacs, I have tried asking Andrew Choi who used to do this, but he
> was unable to help. If there is nobody maintaining the bridge let me
> know & i'll get to work. I will find time to repent for my NDA
> related sins at a later time, but at the moment my primary concearn
> is that when Tiger hits the world emacs will compile on it when
> configured --with-carbon --without-x.

Your NDA might mean that Apple, not we, is prohibiting you from making
that happen.  Contributing to Emacs means disclosure (and you agreed
to non-disclosure): everything is freely available.

> I will happily discuss the problems with the relevant developers, I
> hope we can solve this soon.

The party you have to discuss your problem with is Apple.  You have
signed a presumably legal binding agreement to them, not us, that you
would not contribute your information to an open project like Emacs.

So you have to explain your cause to them and ask for special
permission from them.  The Emacs developers can't absolve you from
your promises to Apple.