Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 19:00:37 -0500 (CDT)

Nick Roberts wrote:

   >    The GNU/Linux console currently does not appear to support
   >    `xterm-mouse-mode'.

   I think this should just say Linux console although I don't really
   understand where the kernel ends and the operating system begins.

Neither do I, but Richard asked me to refer to it as "GNU/Linux console".

   > The normal `xterm' mouse functionality is still available by holding down
   > the `SHIFT' key when you press the mouse button.

   This seems to be true for mouse-1 but:

   C-mouse-1 gives me the Main Options menu
   C-mouse-2 gives me the VT Options menu
   C-mouse-3 gives me the VT Fonts menu

   S-C-mouse-1, S-C-mouse-2, S-C-mouse-3 give me nothing.

I believe that the following patches should finally get it right:

===File ~/xt-mouse.el-diff==================================
*** xt-mouse.el 03 Apr 2005 19:34:53 -0500      1.25
--- xt-mouse.el 05 Apr 2005 15:42:18 -0500
***************
*** 156,164 ****
  With prefix arg, turn XTerm mouse mode on iff arg is positive.

  Turn it on to use Emacs mouse commands, and off to use xterm mouse commands.
! This works in terminal emulators compatible with xterm.  Only single clicks
! are supported.  When turned on, the normal xterm mouse functionality is still
! available by holding down the SHIFT key while pressing the mouse button."
    nil " Mouse" nil :global t :group 'mouse
    (if xterm-mouse-mode
        ;; Turn it on
--- 156,165 ----
  With prefix arg, turn XTerm mouse mode on iff arg is positive.

  Turn it on to use Emacs mouse commands, and off to use xterm mouse commands.
! This works in terminal emulators compatible with xterm.  Only
! non-modified single clicks are supported.  When turned on, the
! normal xterm mouse functionality for such clicks is still available
! by holding down the SHIFT key while pressing the mouse button."
    nil " Mouse" nil :global t :group 'mouse
    (if xterm-mouse-mode
        ;; Turn it on

===File ~/man-frames.texi-diff==============================
*** frames.texi 04 Apr 2005 16:06:35 -0500      1.77
--- frames.texi 05 Apr 2005 15:39:00 -0500
***************
*** 1056,1064 ****
  Some terminal emulators under X support mouse clicks in the terminal
  window.  In a terminal emulator which is compatible with @code{xterm},
  you can use @kbd{M-x xterm-mouse-mode} to enable simple use of the
! mouse---only single clicks are supported.  The normal @code{xterm} mouse
! functionality is still available by holding down the @kbd{SHIFT} key
! when you press the mouse button.

  @ignore
     arch-tag: 7dcf3a31-a43b-45d4-a900-445b10d77e49
--- 1056,1064 ----
  Some terminal emulators under X support mouse clicks in the terminal
  window.  In a terminal emulator which is compatible with @code{xterm},
  you can use @kbd{M-x xterm-mouse-mode} to enable simple use of the
! mouse---only non-modified single clicks are supported.  The normal
! @code{xterm} mouse functionality for such clicks is still available by
! holding down the @kbd{SHIFT} key when you press the mouse button.