Re: Scrollbar bug on OS X (was: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Scrollbar bug on OS X (was: Aquamacs distro for OS X like behavior)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:07:07 +0900

On Apr 6, 2005 11:32 PM, David Reitter <address@hidden> wrote:
> that I'd like to implement in order to conform to standards in my
> environment, the vertical slider size shows a proportion of _ displayed
> lines_ not document characters or real lines (those that end with a CR
> or LF). Whether that is better or not, I don't know, but what I do know
> is that a) "less visual change on the screen is more", and that b) both
> Windows and Mac software has sliders with a stable size.

The only way I can see to truly have stable scroll-bar size is to base
the size calculation on displayed pixels (lines are not necessarily a
constant height, so the number of displayed lines is not a fixed
proportion of total lines in the document).

I'm curious how _any_ program manages to do this calculation in a
reasonable amount of time; do they really lay-out the _entire_
document ahead of time?  Do they use some sort of heuristic instead?
What happens when the heuristic fails?

-MIles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.