Re: emacs -Q not documented

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: emacs -Q not documented
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:02:10 -0400

    Furthermore, it means you cannot just put a breakpoint on (or anywhere
    inside) redisplay_internal and then execute some code to generate a
    specific error...  The blinking cursor timer will trigger that
    breakpoint every second, making it practically impossible to
    debug such problems.

It seems like a bug that blinking the cursur should require a real
redisplay, if the buffer has not changed and point has not even moved.
Can't this be done by redrawing the glyph instead?

    The -Q option has saved me many hours debugging rediplay problems!

I think this should be split into two options.

-Q, or --quick, should turn off use of both kinds of init file
and the splash screen.

--basic-display should turn off various display features,
including the blinking cursor.

-Q --bas  would do them both.