Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:29:57 +1200

 > The "Linux kernel console" -- as the user sees it on a GNU/Linux system--
 > is typically just a process started by the kernel which runs "/bin/sh".
 >
 > So when the user interacts with the console, he is interacting with
 > GNU software (e.g. bash), not the kernel.

In this context the user is always (indirectly) interacting with the kernel.
The shell needn't be bash though, it might be tcsh. I guess you could login
with no GNU software (init, mingetty, login, tcsh ?) although presumably you
couldn't do much useful. I think calling it the GNU/Linux console could harm
the GNU Project: it could create a backlash from kernel developers who are
currently sympathetic to the use of GNU/Linux to describe the system.

Nick