Re: sh-here-document-word should be customizable

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: sh-here-document-word should be customizable
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:31:22 -0600

Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> I wonder why sh-here-document-word is defined with a defvar instead of
> a defcustom in progmodes/sh-script.el.  It should be customizable from
> the default value of "EOF," I think.  Is it too esoteric for most users?

I don't know about most users, but I find it annoying that:

1. The "EOF\n\nEOF" string is inserted and point is moved between the
   newlines, as soon as I type "<<".  I almost always use the "<<-"
   syntax, so that I can indent the here document between the command
   and terminating word by tabs for readability.  Could
   sh-maybe-here-document be enhanced to wait (say 1 second) for a `-'
   input event before inserting the template, and then insert a tab
   before point if it sees the `-'?

2. I prefer a space after redirection operators, but putting a space at
   the beginning of sh-here-document-word doesn't produce a valid shell
   command, because the same space is inserted by
   sh-maybe-here-document.  (The shell only ignores leading tabs -- not
   spaces -- before the word, and only if the "<<-" syntax is used.)

3. For command foo, I like to use _foo for the terminating word.  But
   sh-here-document-word is static, not dynamic.

Thanks,
--
Kevin