Re: face colors on 256 colors terminals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: face colors on 256 colors terminals
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:52:31 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:17:48 -0700
>
> James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > I beleive I recall this coming up on the xfree lists some years back,
>   > and further beleive that the current codebase of both xfree and xorg
>   > do in fact scale the way David recomends.
>   >
>   > It is likely that only the docs are out of date.
>   >
>   > It is certainly the case that the colours named by xmag(1x) when you
>   > click on a pixel in its window show the replicated pattern, and I tend
>   > to use the #rrggbb convention for specifying colours....
>
> Great! Thanks, I think this is the info we needed.
> I tried xmag on both solaris2.8 and Fedora Core 3 and indeed it seems
> that the conversion it uses is Y -> YY (where Y is 8bit).
> Eli, do you agree to go this way?

I'd prefer not to make such a significant change in
tty-color-standard-values before the release.  The current scheme
worked well for several 21.x releases, and I don't think we should
make radical changes in it now, before we've seen the 256-color xterm
support in a released Emacs.  Let's wait until after the release.

But I think the info above means that we should leave
color-name-rgb-alist alone, since it already uses the scheme James
says is now standard in X, and changing it now just to change it back
for the next release sounds silly.