custom-set-minor-mode

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: custom-set-minor-mode
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 17:07:04 -0500 (CDT)

Any non-nil value for a minor mode _variable_ is supposed to indicate
an enabled mode.  It would appear that this includes the value 0 and
negative values.  But currently, when set through Custom, such values
disable the mode.

I believe that it is definitely better to use `t' to enable a minor
mode by default through Custom than a random non-nil value like 0.
Otherwise Custom might get confused if something "simplifies" the
non-nil value to `t', as I believe `define-minor-mode' does.  On the
other hand, it is clearly documented that any non-nil value of the
variable indicates an enabled mode.

I can install the following patch, if we want to change this:

===File ~/custom.el-diff====================================
*** custom.el   05 Mar 2005 21:27:39 -0600      1.81
--- custom.el   08 Apr 2005 22:22:22 -0500
***************
*** 841,848 ****
  this sets the local binding in that buffer instead."
    (if custom-local-buffer
        (with-current-buffer custom-local-buffer
!       (funcall variable (or value 0)))
!     (funcall variable (or value 0))))

  (defun custom-quote (sexp)
    "Quote SEXP iff it is not self quoting."
--- 841,848 ----
  this sets the local binding in that buffer instead."
    (if custom-local-buffer
        (with-current-buffer custom-local-buffer
!       (funcall variable (if value 1 0)))