Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:21:35 +1200

 >    I'm not sure what should be done for customize though. Luc?
 >
 > I could handle that.  However, I really start to doubt that enabling
 > xterm-mouse-mode by default in all terminals for which we believe it
 > makes sense is a good idea.  As we have seen, Xterm Mouse mode has a
 > very imperfect and unpredictable implementation.

Well it may imperfect but its certainly predictable, once you've used it a few
times.

 > It is basically impossible to know whether a given type of mouse click is
 > going to be handled by Emacs or by the terminal without trying it out first
 > (or very carefully studying the code first).  That is why the Emacs manual
 > would have to tell people who get frustrated by all of this
 > unpredictability how to disable the mode.

I think you exaggerate the frustration it will cause. The user can quickly
find its limits.

 > Also the heuristic we use to decide when to enable xterm-mouse-mode might
 > miss some terminal types for which it works.  People using these terminals
 > would still have to know which function or variable to use to enable it
 > themselves.

That heuristic is aready used in startup.el so it must be pretty good. If
there are cases that aren't covered, hopefully they'll come up in the pretest.

 > I would say, let us keep the mode disabled by default.  If we want to
 > go through with enabling it by default, I will take care of the Custom
 > problems.

I say let's enable it by default, I think Richard has already decided this.
Single mouse clicks work on the modeline and eleswhere now. I certainly think
most users would use it by preference.

Nick