Re: [patch] enhanced mac drag-n-drop

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: [patch] enhanced mac drag-n-drop
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 18:49:07 +0900

> For what it's worth I've been using Emacs with -DSYNC_INPUT since
> before I installed the patch and haven't noticed any negative impact
> (except for a few places where a QUIT was missing, but I haven't
> bumped into any such thing for a while now).

I've also been using Emacs on two SIGALRM systems, Mac OS X and
Solaris 8, with -DSYNC_INPUT and a small patch in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2004-09/msg00094.html.
Both of them work without problems.

> I've just encountered a situation that I'd like to use code
> conversion, which may call Feval, inside XTread_socket.  That is
> related to a callback function for the clipboard, and it should
> complete code conversion before it returns.  Thus passing events to
> Lisp does not work here.

There seems to be some similar situations especially about
interapplication communication such as clipboard, drag-and-drop, and
service menu, on Mac.  Callback/handler functions are supposed to set
results on return there.  Some of them can be avoided by preparing all
the possible values that might be passed to other applications in
advance, and it seems to be acceptable in the case of the clipboard
mentioned above.  Because the next release is coming, I'll do so for
now, and leave the improved one to the Unicode version.

Thanks again for all the responses to my question.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden