Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:04:55 -0500 (CDT)

Richard Stallman wrote:

   Please do preload tooltip, except in the two conditions that Eli
   identified.  Since it will nearly always be used, it's good to have
   it preloaded.

Conditionally and explictly preloading it will not get rid of the
code duplication.  I would have to preload it _after_ startup.el, to
avoid making the code more complicated with boundp's and fboundp's, to
prevent errors for variables and functions that might not yet be
defined if loaded too early.

But does this make sense?  It would appear that, whenever tooltip
needs to be enabled, calling `(tooltip-mode 1)' will load it (by an
autoload cookie).  We would just be loading it a second time.  It
appears that `(tooltip-mode 1)' even adds the docstrings to etc/DOC.

So in a certain sense, tooltip is already preloaded when it needs to
be enabled.

Sincerely,

Luc.