Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:01:12 -0500 (CDT)

I have now enabled Xterm Mouse mode by default in xterm style terminal
emulators, as requested.  As I pointed out before, this is not without
problems.

One of the worst kind of problems occurs when you click on the mode
line.  You get no tooltips or echo area messages to tell you what is
going to happen, because, even with Xterm Mouse mode enabled, Emacs
does not respond to mouse over.  So basically, when you click on the
mode line you have no idea what is going to happen.

The main reason for wanting to click on the mode line is to resize the
window.  Should we not disable all the other fireworks in the mode
line when we can not warn the user about them, that is, when not
running under a window system?

A basic problem with Xterm Mouse mode is that mouse clicks are
enabled, but the usual tools to tell you that mouse clicks are going
to do something special and what that is (mouse face and tooltips or
echo area messages) are not.

Sincerely,

Luc.