Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:49:55 -0500 (CDT)

David Kastrup wrote:

   Tooltips are an optional help.  A lot of people make do without them.
   XEmacs has no working tooltips even today.  So this is not so very
   tragic.

I did not complain about absence of tooltips as such.  I personally
disable tooltips, even under a window system.  But with Xterm Mouse
mode, you do not get their replacement, echo area messages either.
That is the problem.  And there is no mouse face.

   The "fireworks" are not destructive and usually deliver a text message
   what happened.  I don't see much of a problem here.

A not very experienced user has two windows, one showing Info.  He
clicks mouse-2 on the Info buffer mode line to make it cover the
entire frame.  But that is not what happens.  Instead, the Info buffer
widens.  The poor user may not even know what narrowing is, or how
Info is internally implemented.  He may have no idea what happened or
what to do next.

   We might want assign a mouse-button+modifier combination to explictly
   providing a tooltip in the echo area:

Even with Xterm Mouse mode enabled, mouse-button+modifier combinations
get handled by the terminal emulator, not by Emacs.

Sincerely,

Luc.