Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:21:38 +0200

>     In the case of define-minor-mode, perhaps it could be arranged that, for
>     example, (tooltip-mode 2) sets tooltip-mode to the standard value.
>
> It would be a mistake to change a general Enacs convention just to
> save some lines in startup.el.  Quite the contrary; I would gladly pay
> the price of additional code in startup.el in order to make some general
> Emacs convention cleaner.

Customize in Emacs-22 has themes now even though I don't think they
are used anywhere right now.  It would seem to be a useful convention
if minor mode functions could just provide a theme name.  In that case
(tooltip-mode 'standard) would set the system default, and
(tooltip-mode 'user) would set the user-customized default.

Actually, I think we should encourage in future that things like
"Newbie configuration", "MacOSX configuration", "Windows typical
configuration" for prepackaged Emacsen are provided using themes.  In
contrast to setq and similar, they should not cause problems with
customize.

It is probably a bit late in the game to make themes a first class
feature with regard to documentation as well as code, but maybe we
should at least point them out more prominently to get feedback from
users for future amendments.