Re: Stealth fontification GCs a lot

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Stealth fontification GCs a lot
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:37:20 +0200

* Richard Stallman (2005-04-13) writes:

>       In order to get a correct fontification of the
>     generated overlays we currently advise users to wait a few seconds
>     after opening a LaTeX file before doing this operation in order to let
>     stealth font locking fontify the whole buffer.
>
> That's terrible!

Well, I didn't write that I like it like this.  It is merely a
workaround until a proper implementation dealing with this problem is
done.

> If fontification of the whole file is fast enough
> that users can stand to wait for it, what you really should do is
> force font-locking to completion immediately.

Currently users can start editing the document and stealth
fontification will fontify the buffer during editing pauses.  So I
don't think this usually is like opening the file and staring at the
screen till fontification finishes.

But I see your point and I'll check if forcing the whole buffer to be
fontified before folding leads to bearable execution times.  An option
could also be to make this configurable; maybe based on processor
speed and buffer sizes.

--
Ralf