Re: Possible change to startup.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Possible change to startup.el
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:03:40 -0400

    > Until multi-language menus are supported, perhaps we should change the
    > menu item to say
    >
    >      Emacs Tutorial (in YOUR-LANGUAGE)
    >
    > where YOUR-LANGUAGE stands for the language name.  This should be done
    > only for those languages that indeed have a translated tutorial.  The
    > tooltip should also hint about that.

    I think we should do that only for those languages that can't be shown
    in the menu.  Since this depends on a complex interaction of platform,
    fonts and locales, I think the programmer wanting to put something
    into a menu can't be reasonably expected to make a guess.

    So I think that we should add something like
    (defun menu-string-supported-p STRING &optional DISPLAY)
    that will tell a programmer whether a given platform is supposed to
    be able to display a given string.

This might be ok in theory, but I'd rather do something simpler.