Re: RMAIL slows

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: RMAIL slows
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:03:13 -0400

    > I wonder if the slowness is due to an increasing number of markers
    > or overlays in the buffer.  Maybe goto-address is making them and
    > never getting rid of them.

    If that were the case, then one symptom might be that performance
    improves when setting gc-cons-threshold to a _smaller_ value, such as
    1000.  Then Emacs would collect garbage (and consequently unused
    markers slowing down the operation) quite more often.

If it is cumulative over a period of days, they are not getting GC'd.
Markers that are pointed to would not get GC'd.
Overlays would not get GC'd.