Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `xterm-mouse-mode' has a bogus Custom group
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:07:22 +0300

> Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 21:04:31 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> One possibility is to only avoid preloading tooltip on MSDOS and not
> worry about `--without-x'.  (How many people compile Emacs
> `--without-x'?)

Please don't go this way.  If someone builds Emacs with --without-x,
they mean it, and we should honor their choice and not cause them any
unnecessary grief.

Also, --without-x could be a result of bad or missing X installation.
For example, I cannot compile with X support on fencepost.gnu.org
(didn't have time to investigate what package is not installed there).

> Then we could use `(eq system-type 'ms-dos)', which
> presumably works in loadup

That's not a good idea, either: there's a DOS port of Xlib, which
allows to build Emacs with X support (or at least did that in the
past; I haven't checked that configuration for a very long time).

Basically, checking the OS name shoudl be the very last resort, not
the first one we try.  Let's keep Emacs as clean of ugly OS-specific
hacks as possible.

> Unless somebody knows how to accurately test whether Emacs was
> compiled --without-x in loadup.el.

What's wrong with testing x-show-tip for being fboundp?