Re: arch-tag lines in tutorials.

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: arch-tag lines in tutorials.
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:04:39 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> On 4/15/05, Marcelo Toledo <address@hidden> wrote:
>> For a newbie user the arch tag and the local variables will be something
>> that he doesn't know about. I don't think that only this will fix the
>> problem of having not know things in the buffer. If we're going to think
>> about it I think we need to think about a convention and a global
>> solution.
>
> Is having things a newbie "doesn't know about" in the file actually
> harmful (especially considering, it's more or less just a text file,
> and this funny stuff is at the end)?
>
> Maybe it's actually _good_, in that it might might peak their
> curiousity, and make them aware (if often only peripherally) of a
> feature they might not have thought about otherwise.

I agree with you when it comes to local variables.  They must seem
strange to a new user.  But someone reading the tutorial wants to
learn about Emacs, so exposure to local variables is a good thing.

Arch-tag lines seem a bit too far off-topic to me, though.  (But I
don't think they are very harmful.)

Lute.