Re: buffer-offer-save, gnus and mh-e

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: buffer-offer-save, gnus and mh-e
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 10:44:49 -0700

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> wrote:

> I plan to make buffer-offer-save a permanent local.

Luc Teirlinck <address@hidden> wrote:

> The solution for that is to set buffer-offer-save to t in
> `compose-mail' and no longer set it in the individual mail modes.  I
> checked that this works for mail-mode and message-mode.  I could not
> check it for mh-folder-mode, but I guess that it must work, since it
> works through `compose-mail'.

Luc,

I'm a little confused by this since mh-folder-mode extends
fundamental-mode.

>                           For mh-e, I have no idea whatsoever how it
> is supposed to be handled.

We support Emacs 20.7, 21, and if CVS Emacs is to be 22, then we support
that too. We also support XEmacs 21. See
http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/prereq/, although I notice I need to update
this information with the content of
https://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=263080.

> If conditionals would be required, things might look somewhat strange,
> because setting buffer-offer-save would still be harmless, even in
> Emacs 22.  The only problem is that major modes are not supposed to
> touch permanent locals.

At least when we no longer support a particular version of Emacs that
the conditional covers, then we can remove the conditional.

Just to be sure I'm understanding correctly, you'd like to see the
following code in mh-e.el:(mh-folder-mode), right?

  (if (or mh-xemacs-flag (< emacs-major-version 22))
    (setq buffer-offer-save t))

Also, is the setting of buffer-offer-save to nil in
mh-utils.el:(mh-find-path) still appropriate?

I'll make the change above and check it into CVS Emacs soon. I'll let
you know if I have additional questions or run into problems.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD