Re: Can't isearch 'ö'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Can't isearch 'ö'
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 08:59:39 -0400

> The very right way is to shift to emacs-unicode.  As long as
> we have multiple character codes for characters that user
> don't want to distinguish, any fix is just a dirty work
> around.

I'm not sure about "workaround" but it'll only ever be a heuristic.

> Your patch may fix not only the current case but also the
> other cases, but may break some case.  My patch fix only the
> current case and won't break the other case.

Within the constraints of the non-unicode Emacs, it seems to be The Right
Way in that it's a heuristic that fixes all the places where we've already
had to introduce a fix, and I can't think of a place where it's going to
break something.  I.e. it's a much better heuristic than the one we
currently have.  Also it allows us to remove the heuristic code (in quail
and self-insert-command, and soon in isearch) we've added at various other
places, so it cleans up the code a bit.  Since that code is not necessary in
Emacs-unicode, it ends up bringing the two closer which I think is a good
thing as well.  I.e. it just feels Right.

        Stefan