Re: Splitting and moving generic.el.

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Splitting and moving generic.el.
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:31:37 +0100

Lute Kamstra wrote:

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

Lute Kamstra wrote:

Doing (require 'generic-x) shouldn't load generic unless generic-x is
loaded from source.  Any idea why your lisp/generic-x.el isn't
compiled?
generic-x.el is in the DONTCOMPILE list in the lisp makefile.

DONTCOMPILE was bogus.  Everything in it was compiled just the same.
Just setting no-byte-compile prohibits compilation.  Anyway, I removed
DONTCOMPILE from the makefiles one week ago.  I guess that generic-x
didn't get compiled on your system because compilation failed due to
the old lisp/generic.elc.  If a lisp file fails to compile on
GNU/Linux, bootstrap terminates with an error.  Does that work
differently on Windows or did you use "make -k bootstrap"?
I used "make recompile", which I mistakenly thought had worked, since it didn't give any errors. "make bootstrap" gives "Invalid escape sequence" on my machine, which is another recent problem I haven't yet tracked down the cause of, but it seems to be specific to the build environment on that machine.