Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 11:02:36 -0400

>     Any objection to removing those aliases?
>     These names belong to AUCTeX and are just wrong in tex-mode.el.

> I don't see any reason to consider them "wrong", or to think they
> "belong" to anything other than tex-mode.el.

- tex-mode.el uses the "tex-" and "latex-" prefix for all its functions
  and variables.

- AUCTeX uses the "TeX-" and "LaTeX-" (and a few more) prefixes for all its
  functions and variables.

I think the above is a good reason why "TeX-mode" and "LaTeX-mode" belong to
AUCTeX rather than to tex-mode.el.

So I think it's wrong for tex-mode.el to define
(defalias 'TeX-mode 'tex-mode) unless it explicitly intends to override the
AUCTeX definition.

        Stefan