Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Removing unloaded functions from auto-mode-alist.
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:56:22 -0400

    Why do we desperately need a special alias just in exactly that case
    where it really is likely to cause problems?

The idea that it "causes problems" is based on a mistaken idea of
how things ought to work.  ALL the usual ways of invoking a mode
for TeX should be defined by both AUCTeX and tex-mode.el.  It woulod
be a bug if they were different.

    Again: do you have knowledge of even a single instance where this
    alias has been used, promoted, or found convenient for or by as much
    as a single person?

If these names are not really used by users, maybe we could these
names in both AUCTeX and tex-mode.el.