Re: Incompatible change without "warning"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Incompatible change without "warning"
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 12:15:48 -0400

    For completeness, I guess there should be one for functions too.

We don't add features to Emacs "for completeness".
That is not enough reason.

     I see XEmacs has
    define-obsolete-function-alias so we could do:

Compatibility adds an additional reason.
So please add define-obsolete-function-alias.
Please give it arguments compatible with XEmacs.

    Or we could combine the two e.g

    (defmacro define-obsolete-alias (new aliased

Since this does not provide compatibility,
it is not as good.  Please don't do this.