Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Overlay arrow in *compilation* and *grep* buffers
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:04:54 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:42:47 +0200
> Cc: Juri Linkov <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >   =>wd.c:5: warning: implicit declaration of function `bar'
>
> On text terminals, the overlay-arrow is just that --- an overlay arrow.
> So it is not a bug ...

By ``bug'' in this case I meant a design bug.

It's at least a bad misfeature, and surely shouldn't be on by default
in compilation buffers.  Unlike buffers that display program sources
(where GUD uses the overlay arrow), whose most lines tend to be
indented, compilation buffers have almost all of their lines start at
column zero, so the arrow will always hide something.

> > Also, the arrow feature is not customizable.  What about users who
> > will dislike it and would wish to turn it off?
>
> What about
>
>  (put 'next-error-overlay-arrow-position 'overlay-arrow-string "")

That's not what is usually meant by ``customizable''.

Let me be sure I understand you correctly, Kim: are you actually
saying that this is a good feature, the way it behaves in current CVS?