Re: What about a seperate "HOME" environment variable under w32?

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: What about a seperate "HOME" environment variable under w32?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 17:35:02 +0200

Hi Sun Yijiang,

Sun Yijiang writes:
> The %HOME% environment variable is used by many programs under w32,
> so it's really a mess sometime.

The HOME environment variable is used by almost every program with a
Unix heritage.  But it seems pretty clear to me what HOME is.  It's
the place where user-level configuration files are stored and on Unix
it's also the place where the user can store his/her other personal
files.  Windows has other places for the latter purpose, but that is
not relevant here, I think.

> I suggest Emacs use a different HOME variable underw32, something
> like %EMACS_HOME% or %EHOME%.

You can achieve that effect with other means, like starting Emacs from
a batch that sets HOME.  Or let the ~/.emacs in your standard HOME
jkust be a short stub that points to another file in some other
directory like e.g.

  (setenv "HOME" "x:/some/other/directory")
  (load "~/.emacs)

That way all subsequent references to HOME are redirected.

benny