Re: What about a seperate "HOME" environment variable under w32?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What about a seperate "HOME" environment variable under w32?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:34:51 +0300

> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:08:51 +0800
> From: Sun Yijiang <address@hidden>
>
> The %HOME% environment variable is used by many programs under w32, so it's
> really a mess sometime.

Is HOME used for any other purpose than Emacs does: to store the
user's private init files?  If some programs use HOME for conflicting
purposes, could you please name those programs and describe the
details?

> I suggest Emacs use a different HOME variable=20
> underw32, something like %EMACS_HOME% or %EHOME%.

I don't think we should introduce such a variable without a very good
reason; hence the questions above.