Re: What about a seperate "HOME" environment variable under w32?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: What about a seperate "HOME" environment variable under w32?
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:54:29 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:08:51 +0800
From: Sun Yijiang <address@hidden>

The %HOME% environment variable is used by many programs under w32, so it's
really a mess sometime.
Is HOME used for any other purpose than Emacs does: to store the
user's private init files?  If some programs use HOME for conflicting
purposes, could you please name those programs and describe the
details?

I suggest Emacs use a different HOME variable=20
underw32, something like %EMACS_HOME% or %EHOME%.
I don't think we should introduce such a variable without a very good
reason; hence the questions above.

kpathsea, the library for most TeX systems, has a scheme where you can
override most environment variables on a per-application base.

An analog construction for Emacs would be to something like
(or (getenv "HOME.emacs") (getenv "HOME"))

If HOME is not set as an environment variable on w32, Emacs will read it from the registry (also used as the equivalent of .Xdefaults). Perhaps we could change the priority of these, so that the registry overrides the environment, since users are unlikely to set a specific HOME for Emacs in the registry and then expect to override it by changing their environment.