Re: Extending GUD tooltips

From: Jérôme Marant
Subject: Re: Extending GUD tooltips
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:05:53 +0200

Quoting Nick Roberts <address@hidden>:

>  > Btw, I have a question not directly related to your patch: why do you
>  > absolutely need to put gud-specific code within tooltip.el?
>
> Well, I didn't put them there, but it certainly makes coding easier because
> GUD tooltips use a lot of the generic code.

You mean you did put them there I guess or I misunderstood the first
part of your sentence.

>  > IMHO, tooltip.el shall only provide some generic code that can be used
>  > by other modes, externaly. AFAIK, this what other modes do.
>
> Maybe thats a general rule but one needs to be quantitative. tooltip.el is
> about 500 lines and about half that code is for GUD. So maybe 250 lines get
> loaded in Emacs through loadup.el but I'm not sure that it amounts to much in

I think it is a general rule of software design (I don't pretend to give
software design lessons though).

Are other modes likely to use those gud tooltip functions? If not,
they should not be put in the same module.

How id GUD different from other modes in this respect?

> memory. On the other hand, gud.el is about 3000 lines, so moving GUD tooltips
> there would make the file over ten times larger than tooltip.el. Can you see
> any practical benefit in doing this?

I fail to understand the problem from the the gud POV.
gud-specific tooltip code would only be loaded for anyone using gud anyway,
right?

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant