Re: Incompatible change without "warning"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Incompatible change without "warning"
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 08:07:41 -0400

    Thinking about it, the best time to do this might be just *after* the
release,
    to give the maximum time to discover any problems it might cause.

Only pretesting will give any real idea of whether a function is
used in code outside of Emacs.  Since we have not started the pretest,
now is a good time to delete some of these names.

    screen-height
    screen-width
    set-screen-width
    set-screen-height

Those are probably really used in .emacs files.  We shouldn't delete
them now, and maybe not ever.

    dot
    dot-max
    dot-min
    dot-marker

Those can go.  They are not used in the Emacs sources,
and they were not used much.  Note that bytecomp.el defines
properties for compiling them, so delete those too.

    buffer-flush-undo

That was probably used often by users; let's not delete it now.

    'compiled-function-p

Only a few programs would have had reason to use that, so
delete it now.

    19.23

    allout-exposure

That was specialized; delete it now.

    19.32

    focus-frame
    unfocus-frame

Those would have been used rarely; delete them now.

    19.34

    executing-macro

Please delete that too.