Re: focus in ediff with many frames X/twm

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: focus in ediff with many frames X/twm
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 19:57:33 +0200

Evil Boris wrote:

"Jan D." <address@hidden> writes:

Evil Boris wrote:

This seems to work properly in 21.3, but not in current/recent CVS.
This is on Solaris running twm as the window manager.

If I invoke ediff, say to compare two files, ediff starts a little
separate "control frame".
-- On Windows, this frame gets focus and the pointer gets warped there.
-- On Linux/Sawfish, the same.
-- On Solaris/twm (focus follows pointer), the X pointer gets warped
 into the bottom right corner of the screen!

Any ideas/comments?  Can anyone reproduce this behavior?

I can not be reproduce this on Solaris 9.

I am on Solaris 7.  Do not see how it should matter, though.  Any
hints on how I would go about tracking this down?  A really primitive
test of the pointer positioning function seems to indicate it works!

I can actually reproduce this on any platform with any window manager now. There is a tiny interval between giving the two files/buffers for ediff to compare and when the small ediff window is popped up. If I move the mouse in that interval the pointer is warped to the bottom right corner. Also, if after I have given the two files/buffers and the pointer is not over any Emacs frame, ediff will warp the pointer to the bottom right corner.

The warping code in ediff was not immediately obvious, I think an ediff expert should take a look at this. It may have something to do with focus on click or focus follows pointer. It looks like an ediff specific problem.

   Jan D.