Re: Incompatible change without "warning"

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Incompatible change without "warning"
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 09:17:47 +0200

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > >  >     Quite a lot with no timestamp.
>  > >  >
>  > >  > They might be obsolete since long long ago.  What are they?
>  > >
>  > > desktop.el: desktop-enable
>  > >             desktop-buffer-modes-to-save
>  > >             desktop-buffer-misc-functions
>  > >             desktop-buffer-handlers
>  > >             desktop-load-default
>  >
>  > They are still the standard and only interface in Emacs 21.4.
>
> Some of these don't seem to be obsoleted correctly, in any case e.g the only
> reference I can find to desktop-buffer-misc-functions is
>
> (make-obsolete-variable 'desktop-buffer-misc-functions
>                         'desktop-save-buffer)
>
> i.e desktop-buffer-misc-functions is no longer a variable in Emacs 22.0.50
>
> Shall I replace these with, e.g.:
>
> (define-obsolete-variable-alias 'desktop-buffer-misc-functions
>                                 'desktop-save-buffer "22.0")

If I remember correctly, this is not going to cut it: I think I had to
change preview-latex to use the new interface since the old interface
was not supported at all any more.  It was not just a matter of
renaming variables: I also had to change other stuff.

There is probably no sense in declaring a variable an obsolete alias
if it does not even work!  I think we should add a compatibility layer
with the old interface (can't be much more than three lines or so)
that we'll remove with 23.1 or so.